Re: ipmi_watchdog: IPMI Watchdog: response: Error 80 on cmd 22

From: cminyard
Date: Mon Nov 21 2011 - 16:36:53 EST

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 02:22:17PM +0100, Arkadiusz MiÅkiewicz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have few machines where ipmi_watchdog (from 3.0.9 kernel currently)
> reports after some time:
>
> IPMI Watchdog: response: Error 80 on cmd 22
>
> In less than a week
> # grep "Error 80 on cmd 22" /var/log/kernel |wc -l
> 378681
>
> #define IPMI_WDOG_RESET_TIMER 0x22
> but no idea what error 80 is.

That error is a command-specific error, and it means: Attempt to start
un-initialized watchdog

I'm guessing that the IPMI controller gets reset somehow and then thinks
it's watchdog timer is not initialized, and thus the reset command causes
an issue.

A fix should be pretty easy, if you get a 0x80 response from a reset,
re-initialize the timer.

Can you try the following patch?