Re: [RFC]numa: improve I/O performance by optimizing numa interleaveallocation

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Fri Nov 18 2011 - 10:56:21 EST

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011, Shaohua Li wrote:

> So can we make both interleave fairness and continuous allocation happy?

Maybe.

> Simplily we can adjust the round robin algorithm. We switch to another node
> after several (N) allocation happens. If N isn't too big, we can still get
> fair allocation. And we get N continuous pages. I use N=8 in below patch.
> I thought 8 isn't too big for modern NUMA machine. Applications which use
> interleave are unlikely run short time, so I thought fairness still works.

People are already complaining that the 4k interleaving is too coarse.
Bioses can often interleave on a cacheline level. A smaller size balances
the load better over multiple nodes. Large sizes can result in imbalances
since f.e. a whole array may end up on one node. Maybe make it tunable
by expanding the numa_policy structure to include a size parameter?