core dumps and prctl(PR_SET_NAME)

From: Christoph Mathys
Date: Thu Nov 17 2011 - 07:36:51 EST

Hello!

We've recently started naming our threads using prctl(PR_SET_NAME,
...). For core dumps, we use the pattern "%e.core". %e is supposed to
expand to (according to Documentation/sysctl/kernel.txt of 3.0.9):

%e executable filename (may be shortened)

However, after prctl was called, %e will expand to whatever name was
set in the call, not the executable filename anymore. This is not what
I would expect when reading the documentation. It also strikes me as
somewhat impractical. How do I know which application dumped core if
it should happen to assign names to its threads?

We are currently on 3.0.9 with PREEMPT_RT 25.

Please CC me on replies. Thanks!
Christoph