Re: [GIT PULL] mm: frontswap (for 3.2 window)

From: Ed Tomlinson
Date: Sat Oct 29 2011 - 09:49:55 EST

On Thursday 27 October 2011 11:52:22 Dan Magenheimer wrote:
> Hi Linus --

> SO... Please pull:
>
> git://oss.oracle.com/git/djm/tmem.git #tmem

My wife has an old PC thats short on memory. Its got Ubuntu
running on it. It also has cleancache and zram enabled. The
box works better when using these. Frontcache would improve
things further. It will balance the tmem vs physical memory
dynamicily making it a better solution than zram.

I'd love to see this in the kernel.

Thanks
Ed Tomlinson

PS. At work we use AIX with memory compression. With the
workloads we run compression lets the OS act like it has 30%
more memory. It works. It would be nice to have a similar
facility in Linux.