Re: staging: line6 driver status

From: Markus Grabner
Date: Thu Oct 27 2011 - 16:39:51 EST

On Thursday 27 October 2011 11:43:21 you wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 09:28:59AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> >> What is the status of the line6 staging driver? There is no TODO file
> >> so I'm not sure what is blocking it from leaving staging.
> >
> > That's a good question. I don't really know the status of the driver at
> > the moment, does anyone else?
>
> I have one question about the design of the driver:
>
> Do we really need the sysfs attributes which boil down to MIDI
> commands? I think a userspace library provides a better interface
> because the MIDI commands/values vary between device models and bloat
> the driver. Generic sound recording and MIDI software would talk to
> the driver. Utilities to control the device could link against the
> userspace library.
>
> By splitting the code into the kernel MIDI/pcm driver and a userspace
> control library which uses MIDI we can slim down the kernel driver and
> leave the large variation of MIDI commands/values to a library that
> the community can improve for specific device models.
>
> This will make the driver smaller and easier for review.
I actually already started to work on this, but progress is slow since I'm
quite busy with other things. As soon as there is a convenient way to access
device parameters via user space code, I agree that the corresponding sysfs
attributes should be removed from the driver.

Kind regards,
Markus

--
Markus Grabner
Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision