Battery Sometimes Not Detected

From: J LaCroix
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 18:11:56 EST

I wanted to submit this bug to the Kernel Bugzilla, but it appears to be
down.

Anyway, I'm on kernel 3.0, using 64-bit Arch Linux on a Dell Latitude
E6410. Every now and then, the battery shows up as though it's not
connected, even while running on it. This is seemingly random, and if it
happens, I just reboot my laptop and it will see the battery fine most of
the time. I want to say about one in ten boots it doesn't see the
battery on average. I filed this first against KDE, but then the problem
happened in XCE so it's not a KDE issue. Then, I filed it against upower
but they told me this is a kernel bug.

An interesting point to note is that while this problem happens whether
I am using my docking station or not, if I undock my laptop while the
laptop doesn't see the battery, all of a sudden the battery is
recognized.

Running "ls /sys/class/power_supply/" while suffering from this bug gives
me:
AC

upower -d reports:
Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC
native-path:
/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/ACPI0003:00/power_supply/AC
power supply: yes
updated: Wed Oct 26 17:04:34 2011 (3127 seconds ago)
has history: no
has statistics: no
line-power
online: yes

Daemon:
daemon-version: 0.9.14
can-suspend: yes
can-hibernate yes
on-battery: no
on-low-battery: no
lid-is-closed: no
lid-is-present: yes
is-docked: no

--
J LaCroix
A+, Network+, Server+, Linux+, CLA, DCTS, LPIC-1 Certified