Re: [GIT PULL] 9p changes fro merge window

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 10:05:21 EST

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 14:58, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What's the preferred maintainer workflow? ÂI had been fetching and then rebasing, which seemed to keep my shortlog clean of merge commits and the outstanding patches towards the top. ÂShould I just be pulling from upstream and not caring about the merge commits?
>
> Hell no.
>
> Why do you pull from upstream? What does that add to *your*
> development? Don't do it. Pick a place to start, and just develop
> things. Ask me to pull.
>
> No merge commits, no rebases, no nothing. JUST ACTUAL WORK. It also
> keeps the history clean, and means that what people test (in
> linux-next _and_ in your own internal testing) is actually what you
> ask me to pull, rather than something else.

That works if what you do is "small" and "fast".

"small":
- There are no conflicts with anyone else who is e.g. restructuring
part of the tree,
- You do not want to early submit parts that should go in through a different
maintainer as soon as they're ready (and thus they disappear from
your patchset
when you rebase),

"fast":
- You started working on it after the last merge window, and not 3
releases ago.

If the above are not true, it's a hell of work to keep track of
everything without
rebasing. Not to mention that the reviewers don't like seeing patches that apply
to obsolete trees.

And of course I don't want to bother you with fixing the merge
conflicts that happen
when I would ask to pull e.g. the m68k genirq conversion based on the
state of your
tree when I started working on it ;-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

            Geert