Re: PCIe can not rescan for new PCIe device ( FPGA board )

From: Abdelghani Ouchabane
Date: Fri Oct 14 2011 - 05:40:23 EST

On 13/10/11 14:50, Kenji Kaneshige wrote:
> Thank you for the information. Though I don't have any good news for you,
> I think as follows based on the info.
>
> - There are two hot-plug capable PCIe slots on your machine.
>
> - But, it seems you are using fakephp driver, not pciehp (is that
> correct?). The fakephp cannot handle hot-plug event such as presence
> change event on the slot. This is why the bus is not scanned automatically.
>
> - Unfortunately, the bus would not be scanned automatically even if you
> use pciehp. As I told you in the previous email, current pciehp don't
> scan the bus automatically only if the slot is hot-plug surprise
> capable. According to the lspci output, your hotplug controller is not
> hot-plug surprise capable.
>
> - I don't think pciehp solve invalid register read problem. According to
> the lspci output, power controller capability isn't present on your
> hotplug controller. On such environment, pciehp driver does almost the
> same thing as fakephp does (just scan the bus/remove the pci device data
> structure) except hot-plug event handling.
>
> But it's worth whole trying pciehp.
> By the way, have you tried acpiphp? It might help you.
>
> Regards,
> Kenji Kaneshige

Hallo Kenji,

many thanks for your great supports. The new BIOS from Congatec solves
the problem.

I using both fakephp & pciehp drivers, Can I use both drivers at the
same time?

I am using fakephp because I need "/sys/bus/pci/slots/0000\:02\:00.0/power".

Other thing: my Kernel has "CONFIG_ACPI_PROC_EVENT is not set", does
this explain why the scan is not performed automatically?

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe acpiphp
FATAL: Error inserting acpiphp
(/lib/modules/2.6.40.3-0.119.delos.i686/kernel/drivers/pci/hotplug/acpiphp.ko):
No such device

What is the advantage to use acpiphp ?

Cheers,
Ghani