Re: [RFC] fixing the UML failure root cause

From: Andrew Lutomirski
Date: Fri Oct 14 2011 - 02:30:25 EST

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:46 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> How does that work?  The tricky case is when one of those three words
>> spans a page boundary if the access to the first page is valid, but
>> the access to the second page is not.  When that happens, if we report
>> the fault as coming from the first page, then UML is likely to get
>> think the fault was spurious and enter an infinite loop.
>
> Hmm. Gaah, I just find that memcpy loop disgusting.

Yeah, it's not pretty.

> We already have that ugly "uaccess_error" crap in handle_exception(),
> we might as well do something like the attached and just say "hey, now
> you can catch the page fault information for a get_user/put_user
> fault".
>
> Isn't that much nicer?

I actually tried this. To really get it right, though, I also need to
either hook the access_ok failure paths (either every single one or
just the ones that matter for those three syscalls, which could be
fragile) or to check access_ok separately in the vsyscall emulation
code. This also takes up 16 bytes of stack just to support a corner
case of a legacy code path.

Another idea is to have a flag that asks the fault handlers to call
force_sig_info for us. That's just one bit of per-thread state. Then
the vsyscall emulation code could check access_ok, force a signal if
access is not ok, then set the flag and do the syscall. And maybe
some processes would want to opt in to that mode anyway -- arguably
EFAULT is a serious programmer error and should be dealt with more
harshly than other syscall misuses.

Admittedly, UML probably doesn't care about recovering vgettimeofday
pointed at kernel space...

--Andy