Hardware locality (hwloc) v1.3 released

From: Samuel Thibault
Date: Thu Oct 13 2011 - 13:53:55 EST

The Hardware Locality (hwloc) team is pleased to announce the release of v1.3:

http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/

v1.3 is a major new release series for hwloc. It includes many new features
and changes over the v1.2.x series.
The recently-released v1.2.2 is expected to be the last release of its series
(see http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/hwloc-announce/2011/10/0024.php)

The following is a summary of the changes since the v1.2 series:

* Major features
+ Add I/O devices and bridges to the topology using the pciutils
library. Only enabled after setting the relevant flag with
hwloc_topology_set_flags() before hwloc_topology_load(). See the
I/O Devices section in the documentation for details.
* Discovery improvements
+ Add associativity to the cache attributes.
+ Add support for s390/z11 "books" on Linux.
+ Add the HWLOC_GROUPING_ACCURACY environment variable to relax
distance-based grouping constraints. See the Environment Variables
section in the documentation for details about grouping behavior
and configuration.
+ Allow user-given distance matrices to remove or replace those
discovered by the OS backend.
* XML improvements
+ XML is now always supported: a minimalistic custom import/export
code is used when libxml2 is not available. It is only guaranteed
to read XML files generated by hwloc.
+ hwloc_topology_export_xml() and export_xmlbuffer() now return an
integer.
+ Add hwloc_free_xmlbuffer() to free the buffer allocated by
hwloc_topology_export_xmlbuffer().
+ Hide XML topology error messages unless HWLOC_XML_VERBOSE=1.
* Minor API updates
+ Add hwloc_obj_add_info to customize object info attributes.
* Tools
+ lstopo now displays I/O devices by default. Several options are
added to configure the I/O discovery.
+ hwloc-calc and hwloc-bind now accept I/O devices as input.
+ Add --restrict option to hwloc-calc and hwloc-distribute.
+ Add --sep option to change the output field separator in hwloc-calc.
+ Add --whole-system option to hwloc-ps.

The next release series (v1.4.x) is expected to focus on making multi-node
topology support easier to use.