Re: Detecting if you are running in a container

From: david
Date: Tue Oct 11 2011 - 18:30:55 EST

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> writes:

On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:42 AM, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

I am totally in favor of not starting the entire world. But just
like I find it convienient to loopback mount an iso image to see
what is on a disk image. It would be handy to be able to just
download a distro image and play with it, without doing anything
special.

Agreed, but what's wrong with firing up KVM to play with a distro
image? Personally, I don't consider that "doing something special".

Then let me flip this around and give a much more practical use case.
Testing. A very interesting number of cases involve how multiple
machines interact. You can test a lot more logical machines interacting
with containers than you can with vms. And you can test on all the
aritectures and platforms linux supports not just the handful that are
well supported by hardware virtualization.

but in containers, you are not really testing lots of machines, you are testing lots of processes on the same machine (they share the same kernel)

I admit for a lot of test cases that it makes sense not to use a full
set of userspace daemons. At the same time there is not particularly
good reason to have a design that doesn't allow you to run a full
userspace.

how do you share the display between all the different containers if they are trying to run the X server?

how do you avoid all the containers binding to the same port on the default IP address?

how do you arbitrate dbus across the containers.

when a new USB device gets plugged in, which container gets control of it?

there are a LOT of hard questions when you start talking about running a full system inside a container that do not apply for other use of containers.

David Lang