Re: big picture UDP/IP performance question re 2.6.18 -> 2.6.32

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Oct 11 2011 - 12:25:22 EST

On 10/06/2011 11:40 PM, Eric Dumazet wrote:
Le jeudi 06 octobre 2011 à 23:27 -0400, starlight@xxxxxxxxxxx a écrit :

If the older kernels are switching to NAPI
for much of surge and the switching out
once the pulse falls off, it might
conceivably result in much better latency
and overall performance.

Thats exactly the opposite : Your old kernel is not fast enough to
enter/exit NAPI on every incoming frame.

Instead of one IRQ per incoming frame, you have less interrupts :
A napi run processes more than 1 frame.

Now increase your incoming rate, and you'll discover a new kernel will
be able to process more frames without losses.

I wonder if it would make sense to adjust the interrupt mitigation parameters in the NIC to allow it to accumulate a few packets before interrupting the CPU. We had good luck using this to reduce interrupt rate on a quasi-pathological case where we were bouncing in and out of NAPI because we were *just* fast enough to keep up with incoming packets.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen
Software Developer