Re: [3.1 patch] x86: default to vsyscall=native

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Oct 10 2011 - 07:50:32 EST

* richard -rw- weinberger <richard.weinberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From UML's point of view the current situation is odd. UML will no
> longer run on top of a default 3.1 kernel.

This needs to be fixed (perhaps worked around in UML if that's
possible and if you agree with that) - or barring a real obvious fix
needs to be reverted to the last-known-working state. We are in -rc9
so nothing but really, really obvious patches can be applied.

> Why is this odd? One of the major reasons why people are still
> using UML is because you can run it as non-privileged user on any
> x86 Linux host. An user which has root privileges can setup and use
> KVM which is much nicer than UML...

No, your complaint is entirely justified.

Andrew?

Thanks,

Ingo