Re: cgroup umount bug

From: Serge E. Hallyn
Date: Sat Oct 08 2011 - 14:18:10 EST

Quoting åé (handai.szj@xxxxxxxxxx):
> Hi,
>
> I found a mount/umount problem while using cgroup: I mount a cpu
> cgroup (or other subsystems) and create some subgroups under it, but
> later I try to umount it without rmdir those subgroups. I find that I
> can umount it without any errors but actually the super block still
> exist. This is because the sb->s_active count is greater than 1 which
> was added by cgroup_create. But later if I want to mount both cpu and
> memory subsystems, it will be unsuccessful indicating that the
> device(cpu subsystem) is busy. This situation will not happen if I rmdir
> the subgroups manually before umount it. So my question is:
> Should the umount return success when there are still some subgroups

Yes. The fs was unmounted from that directory.

> exist ? If this is okay, then it may lead to some *strange* errors using
> cgroup later. If it can not be umount, then it should inform that the
> mount point is still busy.

> Following is an example of this problem:
>
> mount -t cgroup -o cpu cgroup /mnt
> mkdir /mnt/test
>
> â..// do some tests
>
> umount /mnt /* return successfully */
>
> /* do other subsystems test */
> mount -cgroup -o cpu,cpuset cgroup /mnt
> mount: cgroup already mounted or /mnt busy /*??? which is strange */

I'm not sure from what you write whether you're aware of this, but
to work around this, you can then

mount -t cgroup -o cpu /mnt
for i in `cat /mnt/test/tasks`; do
echo $i > /mnt/tasks
done
rmdir /mnt/test
umount /mnt

and now you can

mount -cgroup -o cpu,cpuset cgroup /mnt

Being unable to umount /mnt while child cgroups exist or having all
child cgroups cleared and removed automatically would both be less
useful behaviors.

thanks,
-serge