Re: A Plumberâs Wish List for Linux

From: Hugo Mills
Date: Fri Oct 07 2011 - 11:22:09 EST

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 02:46:23PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:38, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 12:28:46 +0200 Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> What do you mean would be ugly?
> >
> > I have an ext4fs. It supports every possible file name allowed by POSIX
> > and SuS. What name are you going to use for your 'hidden directory' that
> > won't clash with a real file ?
>
> Ah, no. The label on FAT (similar on NTFS) are 'magic entries' in the
> root dir list, not a real file in the root dir.
>
> We need kernel support for changing a mounted fs, because, unlike
> ext4, the blocks containing the strings are inside the fs, which the
> kernel might change any time.

It's worth noting that there are similar issues with btrfs around
changing label. A common API for it would make sense. The only btrfs
patches I've seen to change label after mkfs-time work either as:

* unmounted only, single underlying device only, pure userspace
implementation
* mounted only, multiple underlying devices, kernel support needed

The kernel-side patches never got integrated, so we're still unable
to change the label on the majority of btrfs filesystems.

Changing the UUID for the filesystem is even harder, as I think
it's written to every metadata block. I'm not sure we can do that
sanely on a mounted filesystem.

Hugo (just a spear-carrier from the btrfs chorus).

--- Anyone using a computer to generate random numbers is, of ---
course, in a state of sin.