Re: [099/244] PCI: Set PCI-E Max Payload Size on fabric

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Oct 03 2011 - 14:52:50 EST

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 04:33:29PM -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 3.0-stable review patch.  If anyone has any objections, please let us know.
>
> I object to this :) I think the following patches should be omitted
> from -stable:
>
> [099/244] PCI: Set PCI-E Max Payload Size on fabric
> [100/244] PCI: export pcie_bus_configure_settings symbol
> [101/244] PCI: Remove MRRS modification from MPS setting code
> [212/244] pci: Dont crash when reading mpss from root complex
>
> I've heard rumors that these patches are required to make 3.0 boot on
> some machines, but I don't really believe it, and I haven't seen the
> problem reports myself.

Ok, I've removed these from the 3.0.5 release, but I really want them in
a future 3.0-stable release, so I'll carry them over to the next one and
keep trying until it all gets worked out.

As for the bug reports, I've seen them, but I don't know the status of
the hardware to be able to have them reported publicly at the moment,
sorry.

> Also, these patches introduce an open regression (Avi's e1000e
> problem). Jon has mooted a patch that we hope will fix the
> regression, but I'm still not confident that this is all safe for 3.1,
> much less 3.0-stable.

I'll keep working with Jon on these.

thanks,

greg k-h