Re: Blockers on IIO usage of regmap.

From: Mark Brown
Date: Wed Sep 07 2011 - 13:58:06 EST

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 05:10:24PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:

Please fix your mailer to word wrap at less than 80 colums, they're
really quite hard to read as a result of this.

> CS -_______________________-
> TX Ada0...Ada7 Da0....Da7
> RX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> Reads are 16 bit with either of the two 8 bit register addresses given the same value
>
> CS -______________________-_____________________-
> TX Ada0....Ada7 XXXXXXXX
> RX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Da0...Da7 Db0....Db7

> Can interpret Da0...Da7 and Db0....Db7 as single 16 bit register and consider this device
> to just have a weird write method and normal read. Might be easier. I'll define Ax<n> as
> 16 bit address for the burst read.

This is starting to seem pretty far off the reservation.

> Perhaps the burst mode thing is better handled by just providing a hook to allow data to be pushed
> into regmap (from 'magic' sources), but the weird write read combination looks to me like something
> that makes sense to have in regmap (be it as another bus variant).

Probably not as a bus, it sounds like a marshalling difference rather
than a bus - the buses should really only understand byte streams. I
don't have any bright ideas on how to deal with this, it's fairly far
away from the problem space I'm worried about.