Re: [GIT PULL] KVM fix for 3.1-rc5

From: Josh Boyer
Date: Tue Sep 06 2011 - 21:19:55 EST

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Linus, please pull from
>>
>>  git://github.com/avikivity/kvm.git kvm-updates/3.1
>>
>> to receive a fix for a build failure due to a missing instruction size
>> suffix in inline assembly.
>
> Again, please give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that this is really
> Avi, and the right thing to do, rather than just a "please pull from
> this random tree".
>
> It's not that I don't think you are you, but I want people to actually
> *think* about what they are doing and sending me. When you give me a
> kernel.org address, I know you have access to kernel.org, and that
> makes me believe you are you. When you give me a github address, that
> doesn't really mean anything.

To your point, I would think you want that regardless. I certainly
don't mean to pile on the kernel.org guys, but it was compromised and
likely through a user account. I'm confident that this is a very rare
occurrence, but it can happen again. There was another somewhat high
profile hack earlier in the year against vendor-sec as well.

Maybe asking for some extra warm fuzzies from now on wouldn't be a
horrible idea as general practice.

I will now await a reply full of the cold pricklies.

josh