Re: RFD: x32 ABI system call numbers

From: H.J. Lu
Date: Sun Sep 04 2011 - 18:15:27 EST

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > But isn't that broken? These all pass u64 or time_t values at some point.
>> >

>> time_t isn't a problem since time_t/timeval/timespec are identical for
>> x32 and x86-64.  As for u64, I added NATIVE_LONG_TYPE, which is
>> defined as long long for x32,  and use it instead of long in types for
>> 64bit system calls.
>
> Sorry, I misread you as saying you use the compat syscalls for these.
> If you use the native 64 bit syscalls, you have the opposite problem:
> Some network protocols (e.g. netlink or rxrpc) use other data structures
> that require conversion, e.g. 'long' members that x32 will get wrong.

For those, I use x86-32 calls.

> For quotactl I guess you are right, using the 64 bit call instead
> of the x86_32 call will just work on x32 like they do on other compat
> architectures. The same should be true for semtimedop, I had misinterpreted
> that one thinking that you would still need to convert struct sembuf
> (you would need that on another architecture which uses 32 bit struct
> alignment in one ABI but the other).

I make sure that x32 struct sembuf is identical to 64bit struct sembuf.

> For mq_{get,set}attr, I think you will either have to use the 32 bit
> call or conditionally define struct mq_attr to contain 'long long'
> members.

I have

struct mq_attr
{
__SNATIVE_LONG_TYPE mq_flags; /* Message queue flags. */
__SNATIVE_LONG_TYPE mq_maxmsg; /* Maximum number of messages. */
__SNATIVE_LONG_TYPE mq_msgsize; /* Maximum message size. */
__SNATIVE_LONG_TYPE mq_curmsgs; /* Number of messages currently queued.
*/
__SNATIVE_LONG_TYPE __pad[4];
};

__SNATIVE_LONG_TYPE is long long for x32.

--
H.J.