Re: Hyper-V TODO file

From: Greg KH
Date: Thu Sep 01 2011 - 16:31:22 EST

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 03:16:51PM -0700, K. Y. Srinivasan wrote:

> Greg,
>
> The TODO file for Hyper-V drivers has not been updated in a while and does
> not reflect the current state of these drivers:
>
> 1) There are no more checkpatch warnings/errors in this code. One of the TODO
> work items is "fix remaining checkpatch warnings and errors".

Great, you can delete it.

> 2) With your help, we have fixed all of the issues related to these drivers
> conforming to the Linux Device Driver model. One of the TODO work items is
> "audit the vmbus to verify it is working properly with the driver model".

I have a few comments about this, I'll respond in another email.

> 3) Like all other virtualization platforms, the protocol to communicate with
> the host is very host specific. The ringbuffer control structures are shared
> between the host and the guest and so, the guest is compelled to follow the
> mandates of the host. Thus, it is not possible for us to merge the vmbus with
> other virtual buses in the system. One of the TODO work items is "see if the
> vmbus can be merged with the other virtual busses in the kernel".

Sure, you can delete it.

> 4) A couple of months ago, we had posted the network driver for community review.
> We have submitted patches (and these have been applied) to address the review
> comments. One of the TODO work items is "audit the network driver"

Leave that until the network subsystem authors agree that this is all
taken care of by merging the driver into their subsystem.

> 5) Recently, we have merged the IDE and scsi drivers into a single driver that
> can handle both IDE and SCSI devices. These patches have been already checked in.
> As part of this effort, we have addressed all of the community comments on the
> combined storage driver. The TODO file currently has two work items on this
> issue: "audit the block driver" and "audit the scsi driver".

Same as above for the network driver, but you can leave just one entry
now.

I can't apply patches right now due to the kernel.org infrastructure
reworking, so you will have to wait a few days for me to apply your
previous ones, but feel free to send a patch cleaning up the TODO file
now.

thanks,

greg k-h