Re: comparison of the AF_ALG interface with the /dev/crypto

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Date: Thu Sep 01 2011 - 10:57:02 EST

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Are you maxing out your submission CPU? If not then you're testing
> the latency of the interface, as opposed to the throughput.

I think it is obvious that a benchmark of throughput measures
throughput. If however, you think that AF_ALG is in disadvantage in
this benchmark, because it is a high latency interface, you're free to
propose and perform another one. I haven't seen anywhere how is this
interface was supposed to be used, nor about its qualities (high
latency, maybe(?) high throughput or so). Thus, I designed this
benchmark with a use-case in mind, i.e., a TLS or DTLS tunnel
executing in a system with such an accelerator. There might be other
benchmarks with other use cases in mind, but I haven't seen any.

regards,
Nikos