Re: RFD: x32 ABI system call numbers

From: Jonas Bonn
Date: Thu Sep 01 2011 - 02:08:53 EST

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 18:14 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 August 2011, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > On 08/30/2011 05:09 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm wondering about the time_t changes: given that we are still adding
> > > new 32 bit architectures, should we change the asm-generic API as well
> > > to use 64 bit time_t by default (with fallbacks for the existing ones)?
> > >
> > > If you are adding support for these in x32 already, we could use the
> > > same code for regular 32 bit architectures.
> > >

> > It seems absolutely boggling insane that we're introducing new
> > architectures with no legacy whatsoever and use 32-bit time_t on those.
>
> I've added a few people to Cc who are in various stages of the
> process to finalize their upstream kernel ports. It's clearly
> the right decision to have time_t 64-bit eventually, the question
> is how much work is everyone willing to spend in the short run,
> and who is going to test it. In particular, openrisc has just
> been merged, so we should not be changing it any more unless
> there is a serious problem, but if there is not much legacy user
> space with the current ABI yet, it may still be worth switching
> over.

As far as OpenRISC is concerned, this change can still be made now. I
know who the users of this platform are and, considering the rest of the
libc churn that comes with dropping the legacy syscalls, I can guarantee
that nobody's going to complain. OpenRISC may be merged but 3.1's not
released yet so there's still a bit of wiggle room to get this done.

/Jonas