Re: [uml-devel] SYSCALL, ptrace and syscall restart breakages (Re:[RFC] weird crap with vdso on uml/i386)

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Aug 23 2011 - 12:23:13 EST

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:11:43PM -0400, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> In any case, this seems insanely overcomplicated. I'd be less afraid
> of something like my approach (which, I think, makes all of the
> SYSCALL weirdness pretty much transparent to ptrace users) or of just
> removing SYSCALL entirely from 32-bit code.

I don't think that removing SYSCALL from 32-bit code just so that UML
trapped syscalls work is something we'd like since SYSCALL is much
cheaper than INT $0x80:

"As a result, SYSCALL and SYSRET can take fewer than one-fourth the
number of internal clock cycles to complete than the legacy CALL and RET
instructions."

http://support.amd.com/us/Processor_TechDocs/24593.pdf, p. 152.

I know, it is 32-bit syscall on 64-bit kernel which should be pretty
rare but still...

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH
Einsteinring 24, 85609 Dornach
GM: Alberto Bozzo
Reg: Dornach, Landkreis Muenchen
HRB Nr. 43632 WEEE Registernr: 129 19551