Re: ARM promising platform, needs to learn from PC.

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Fri Aug 19 2011 - 05:05:17 EST

Hello,

On Friday 19 August 2011 04:02:33 Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> dear linus,
>
> i've written this up, including some examples in FAQ form that would
> and would not satisfy the proposed "selfish-is-out, cooperation-is-in"
> patch-acceptance rule, here:
> http://lkcl.net/linux/linux-selfish.vs.cooperation.html
>
> comments greatly appreciated, as would additional examples to add to the
> FAQ.

Most of your examples, especially the RDC is example is just badly chosen.

I had patches supporting this sub arch acccepted until we could get rid of it
and make it work with the generic x86 infrastructure. The only thing that has
not been accepted yet is some kind of "cpuid-like" feature for RDC.

The rdc321x GPIO driver has been accepted mainline and only serves on RDC-
based SoC.

Sorry to say that, but I do not understand the point of your FAQ, most people,
if explained with good reasons, would accept a new architecture/SoC/sub-arch,
but that's also at the price of the submitter to eventually rethink its way of
supporting the architecture (Device Tree, code re-organisation ...).
--
Florian