Re: +prctl-add-pr_setget_child_reaper-to-allow-simple-process-supervision .patchadded to -mm tree

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 20:48:42 EST

On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 15:22 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > It will be used for all new service managers. UNIX is a pain if you want
> > to watch your children regarding double-forking, if you are not init.
>
> I'll believe that "all new service managers" when I see it. Until
> then, a new feature is just that - a new feature. Which nobody uses.

That feature will be used in Fedora 17 if we get that properly working.
Promised!

So far we have a pretty good track record in immediately using the stuff
we add to the kernel. People working on the other side usually complain
that we always require such new kernels. :)

> > If you want, we can make the forked processes inherit a flag if the
> > 'subreaper' should be looked up at all. Then we have almost zero
> > overhead if the feature isn't used. You think that's needed?
>
> Yes, I do. Because with any current system, that "almost zero
> overhead" is just totally wasted effort entirely for zero gain. Which
> just makes me go "Eww".

Yeah, understood. I'll change it with the next round, and we can see how
to go from there.

Thanks,
Kay