Re: processes stuck in llseek

From: Chris Mason
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 13:53:12 EST

Excerpts from Mitch Harder's message of 2011-08-18 12:53:33 -0400:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Chris Mason <chris.mason@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Mitch Harder's message of 2011-08-18 11:40:17 -0400:

> >> Doesn't this patch rely on Josef's SEEK_HOLE/SEEK_DATA patch set which
> >> isn't in the kernel yet?
> >>
> >> http://marc.info/?l=linux-btrfs&m=130927580606177&w=2
> >
> > It does, but the hang was reported on 3.1-rc1, which does have Josef's
> > code.
> >

> Thanks.
>
> That gives me some insights regarding the differences between the
> 'for-linus' and the 'for-linus-merged' branches.

for-linus is usually what I send him to pull, and master is usually the
stable things against the last release (3.0 as of today).

for-linus-merged is used when there is a conflict between his current
tree and my for-linus branch. Linus almost never uses this directly,
since he really likes to resolve conflicts himself. This is mostly
because he wants to see what the conflicts are and make sure the
integration is done correctly.

But I still provide a for-linus-merged just so we can double check
the results of the conflict resolution.

-chris