Re: linux-next: boot test failure (net tree)

From: Jeff Kirsher
Date: Thu Aug 18 2011 - 01:41:06 EST

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 22:22 -0700, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:50:02 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:15:25 -0700 (PDT) David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:01:46 +1000

> > > When you type "make oldconfig" with an existing .config it prompts you
> > > for those vendor guards, giving you ample opportunity to say yes to
> > > them.
> >
> > Which is a bit of a pain for automated systems. Ours does (essentially):
> >
> > yes '' | make oldconfig
> >
> > We really don't want to select every new config item that comes along.
>
> So, Mikey did a test for me (he was bitten by this today). Just one of
> the powerpc configs (pseries_defconfig which should, in theory, build a
> kernel that will boot on almost all our POWER server machines) loses all
> these drivers if you do a "make pseries_defconfig":
>
> -CONFIG_IBMVETH=y
> -CONFIG_PCNET32=y
> -CONFIG_E100=y
> -CONFIG_ACENIC=m
> -CONFIG_ACENIC_OMIT_TIGON_I=y
> -CONFIG_E1000=y
> -CONFIG_E1000E=y
> -CONFIG_BNX2=m
> -CONFIG_CHELSIO_T3=m
> -CONFIG_CHELSIO_T4=m
> -CONFIG_IXGBE=m
> -CONFIG_IXGB=m
> -CONFIG_S2IO=m
> -CONFIG_MYRI10GE=m
> -CONFIG_NETXEN_NIC=m
> -CONFIG_QLGE=m
> -CONFIG_BE2NET=m
>
> That is just one of our deconfigs ... there are over 400 defconfigs in
> the kernel and a lot of them will need to be updated.
>
> Mikey asks: Will Dave take these updates if we get Acks from the
> maintainers? :-)

I am open to the idea. I considered updating the the defconfig's, but
was not sure was the best way of doing the changes. I was not sure
making these changes in Dave's net-next tree would not upset the arch
maintainer's, especially if there is a better tree(s) for the changes.

I am in the finishing up the patches for drivers/net/ {FDDI, PPP, SLIP,
HIPPI, etc.) and since I started this change, I would sign-up for making
the defconfig changes if that helps.

Cheers,
Jeff