cleancache can lead to serious performance degradation

From: Nebojsa Trpkovic
Date: Wed Aug 17 2011 - 17:57:58 EST

Hello.

I've tried using cleancache on my file server and came to conclusion that my Core2 Duo 4MB L2 cache 2.33GHz CPU cannot cope with the amount of data it needs to compress during heavy sequential IO when cleancache/zcache are enabled.

For an example, with cleancache enabled I get 60-70MB/s from my RAID arrays and both CPU cores are saturated with system (kernel) time. Without cleancache, each RAID gives me more then 300MB/s of useful read throughput.

In the scenario of sequential reading, this drop of throughput seems completely normal:
- a lot of data gets pulled in from disks
- data is processed in some non CPU-intensive way
- page cache fills up quickly and cleancache starts compressing pages (a lot of "puts" in /sys/kernel/mm/cleancache/)
- these compressed cleancache pages newer get read because there are a whole lot of new pages coming in every second replacing old ones (practically no "succ_gets" in /sys/kernel/mm/cleancache/)
- CPU saturates doing useless compression, and even worse:
- new disk read operations are waiting for CPU to finish compression and make some space in memory

So, using cleancache in scenarios with a lot of non-random data throughput can lead to very bad performance degradation.

I guess that possible workaround could be to implement some kind of compression throttling valve for cleancache/zcache:

- if there's available CPU time (idle cycles or so), then compress (maybe even with low CPU scheduler priority);

- if there's no available CPU time, just store (or throw away) to avoid IO waits;

At least, there should be a warning in kernel help about this kind of
situations.

Regards,
Nebojsa Trpkovic