Re: [patch 00/36] Hexagon: Add support for Qualcomm Hexagonarchitecture

From: Zan Lynx
Date: Wed Aug 17 2011 - 15:23:18 EST

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 11:34 -0500, Richard Kuo wrote:
> The following patch set is intended to add support for the Qualcomm Hexagon
> architecture to the Linux kernel.
>
> The Hexagon architecture is designed to deliver performance with low power
> over a variety of applications. It has features such as multithreading,
> privilege levels, VLIW, and instructions geared toward efficient signal
> processing. The port of Linux for Hexagon runs under a hypervisor layer.

I am curious about the hypervisor layer.

I can guess that it's an attempt to abstract away low level hardware
changes, a sort of software version of CPU microcode.

Or maybe it's a Transmeta kind of thing with dynamic recompilation into
a quickly evolving VLIW instruction set.

But what's the real reason?
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts