Re: x86 memcpy performance

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Aug 16 2011 - 03:43:26 EST

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:49:28PM +0530, melwyn lobo wrote:
> We would rather use the 32 bit patch. Have you already got a 32 bit
> patch.

Nope, only 64-bit for now, sorry.

> How can I use sse3 for 32 bit.

Well, OTTOMH, you have only 8 xmm regs in 32-bit instead of 16, which
should halve the performance of the 64-bit version in a perfect world.
However, we don't know how the performance of a 32-bit SSE memcpy
version behaves vs the gcc builtin one - that would require benchmarking
too.

But other than that, I don't see a problem with having a 32-bit version.

> I don't think you have submitted 64 bit patch in the mainline.
> Is there still work ongoing on this.

Yeah, we are currently benchmarking it to see whether it actually makes
sense to even have SSE memcpy in the kernel.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.