RE: Future of the -longterm kernel releases (i.e. how we pick them).

From: Daniel Taylor
Date: Tue Aug 16 2011 - 01:36:25 EST

I also appreciate the amount of work it takes to maintain a kernel; thanks.

For embedded systems, which often have multi- (not just two-) year
warranties, it sounds like we would then be maintaining the -longterm
ourselves. The "easy" side of this is that embedded systems don't
(usually) have users trying to plug in the latest and greatest widget,
except on external busses, such as USB. So back-porting drivers is
not generally a big deal. Security patches, OTOH, are a real concern.
Other than net and drivers/net, which are exposed to non-local attacks,
are there other subsystems we should watch for security fixes? There
have, for example, been a lot of security upgrades in /sys, but there's
also been a lot of restructing for new interfaces and "arch" models,
which would make back-porting those much more complicated.