Re: Suppressing a plus from setlocalversion

From: Pavel Roskin
Date: Mon Aug 15 2011 - 22:21:44 EST

Quoting David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Pavel Roskin wrote:

Hello!

There is one annoyance in the build system that I cannot work around.

That's surprising since you actually state the workaround, i.e. using
LOCALVERSION= with make, yourself.

OK, I don't consider that an acceptable solution, as it could interfere with other build systems.

However, as soon as I posted this message, I found a better solution, namely setting LOCALVERSION= in the environment (both for the normal user and for root). This is less likely to have unexpected effects, since the environment variables don't override the variables explicitly set in makefiles.

Yes, because the kernel you've produced is no longer 3.1.0-rc2, it is
modified. If you want to do something else locally, then you can always
use LOCALVERSION=.

The + was added to stop falsely identifying kernels as a specific version
when they are modified by default. Sorry if you forget to override it
sometimes.

OK, I have an acceptable solution for my needs now, and if others need it, hopefully they would find this post.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin