Re: [BUG?] Moving drivers to drivers/cpufreq/ causes all to be loaded

From: Jonathan Nieder
Date: Sat Aug 13 2011 - 15:03:16 EST

Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> (1) This is still incredibly fragile. What *should* cpufrequtils
> be doing to get the modules it needs?
>
> (2) Using the 3.0 or later kernel with old userspace gives bad
> results (e.g., 30% increase in power consumption for one
> reporter). That's a regression.

The "30% increase" part was an unrelated bug (i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
brings power consumption back to normal), for those who were
wondering. :)

Old userspace automatically loading the wrong cpufreq drivers still
does not seem great to me, though I don't have any great ideas about
how to prevent that (a separate drivers/cpufreq-drivers/ directory
does not sound too appealing). I guess I'd be most interested in how
to fix (1) first.

Thanks,
Jonathan