Re: [slub p4 0/7] slub: per cpu partial lists V4

From: David Rientjes
Date: Sat Aug 13 2011 - 14:28:44 EST

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> The following patchset introduces per cpu partial lists which allow
> a performance increase of around ~10-20% with hackbench on my Sandybridge
> processor.
>
> These lists help to avoid per node locking overhead. Allocator latency
> could be further reduced by making these operations work without
> disabling interrupts (like the fastpath and the free slowpath) but that
> is another project.
>
> It is interesting to note that BSD has gone to a scheme with partial
> pages only per cpu (source: Adrian). Transfer of cpu ownerships is
> done using IPIs. Probably too much overhead for our taste. The approach
> here keeps the per node partial lists essentially meaning the "pages"
> in there have no cpu owner.

I'm currently 35,000 feet above Chicago going about 611 mph, so what
better time to benchmark this patchset on my netperf testing rack!

threads before after
16 78031 74714 (-4.3%)
32 118269 115810 (-2.1%)
48 150787 150165 (-0.4%)
64 189932 187766 (-1.1%)
80 221189 223682 (+1.1%)
96 239807 246222 (+2.7%)
112 262135 271329 (+3.5%)
128 273612 286782 (+4.8%)
144 280009 293943 (+5.0%)
160 285972 299798 (+4.8%)

I'll review the patchset in detail, especially the cleanups and
optimizations, when my wifi isn't so sketchy.