Re: Regression in 3.0-git after commit c82693db52beced0419cecf09a3c81adfe95a544- sound does not work

From: Larry Finger
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 15:33:49 EST

On 08/04/2011 02:21 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Thu, 04 Aug 2011 13:19:17 -0500,
Larry Finger wrote:

On 08/04/2011 12:55 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

Thanks. Through a quick glance at these information, the problem
looks like that both newly appearing "Headphone" and "Speaker" volumes
are set to zero. Usually alsactl invoked by udev will set appropriate
values for new elements, but in your case, it didn't work by some
reason.

Try to adjust them. (Note that you don't have to rebuild the kernel
just for this test; pass model=auto option to snd-hda-intel module,
then it'll switch to that mode.)

By adding that option to /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf, and removing my patch, I
got new controls with the mixer. After fiddling with them a bit, I got working
sound. The issue is fixed.

OK, thanks for a quick check!

BTW, are you using systemd or sysvinit? The culprit might be the
missing call of "alsactl init" at the startup, and it depends on the
start-up system, of course.

I'm using sysvinit with openSUSE 11.4. The plan is to have systemd working with oS 12.1, but that is still a work in progress.

Larry