Re: [GIT PULL] Lockless SLUB slowpaths for v3.1-rc1

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Aug 02 2011 - 12:24:31 EST

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > Yes, slub _did_ use more memory than slab until the alignment of
> > struct page. That cost an additional 128MB on each of these 64GB
> > machines, while the total slab usage on the client machine systemwide is
> > ~75MB while running netperf TCP_RR with 160 threads.
>
> I guess that calculation did not include metadata structures (alien caches
> and the NR_CPU arrays in kmem_cache) etc? These are particularly costly on SLAB.

It certainly is costly on slab, but that 75MB number is from a casual
observation of grep Slab /proc/meminfo while running the benchmark. For
slub, that turns into ~55MB. The true slub usage, though, includes the
struct page alignment for cmpxchg16b which added 128MB of padding into its
memory usage even though it appears to be unattributed to slub. A casual
grep MemFree /proc/meminfo reveals the lost 100MB for the slower
allocator, in this case. And the per-cpu partial list will add even
additional slab usage for slub, so this is where my "throwing more memory
at slub to get better performance" came from. I understand that this is a
large NUMA machine, though, and the cost of slub may be substantially
lower on smaller machines.

If you look through the various arch defconfigs, you'll see that we
actually do a pretty good job of enabling CONFIG_SLAB for large systems.
I wish we had a clear dividing line in the x86 kconfig that would at least
guide users toward one allocator over another though, otherwise they
receive little help.