Re: [slub p3 0/7] SLUB: [RFC] Per cpu partial lists V3

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Aug 02 2011 - 10:11:00 EST

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, David Rientjes wrote:

> This applied nicely to Linus' tree so I've moved to testing atop that
> rather than slub/lockless on the same netperf testing environment as the
> slab vs. slub comparison. The benchmarking completed without error and
> here are the results:
>
> threads before after
> 16 75509 75443 (-0.1%)
> 32 118121 117558 (-0.5%)
> 48 149997 149514 (-0.3%)
> 64 185216 186772 (+0.8%)
> 80 221195 222612 (+0.6%)
> 96 239732 241089 (+0.6%)
> 112 261967 266643 (+1.8%)
> 128 272946 281794 (+3.2%)
> 144 279202 289421 (+3.7%)
> 160 285745 297216 (+4.0%)
>
> So the patchset certainly looks helpful, especially if it improves other
> benchmarks as well.

The problem is that the partial approach has not been fine tuned yet for
these larger loads. And the proper knobs are not implemented yet.

> I'll review the patches individually, starting with the cleanup patches
> that can hopefully be pushed quickly while we discuss per-cpu partial
> lists further.

I am currently reworking the patches to operate on a linked list instead
of a very small array of pointers to page structs. That will allow much
larger per cpu partial lists and a dynamic configuration of the sizes.