Re: Revert needed: udev spewing warnons on common systems in 3.0

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Aug 01 2011 - 21:30:13 EST

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:52:06 -0700 Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> Can you please revert
>
> commit be8f684d73d8d916847e996bf69cef14352872c6
> Author: David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon Jul 25 17:12:18 2011 -0700
>
> oom: make deprecated use of oom_adj more verbose
>
> /proc/pid/oom_adj is deprecated and scheduled for removal in August 2012
> according to Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt.
>

> This makes most of my test systems (suse 11.1, 11.2) spew scary WARN_ONs
> on every boot. GNOME then also complains.

aw, what crap.

"/proc/%d/oom_adj is deprecated, please use /proc/%d/oom_score_adj instead."

Once per boot. That's not "scary".

> While it doesn't cause actual
> misfunction it scares me every time I boot and other people who can't
> read git logs like me will be unnecessary scared.

What? Look at the damn text - the only reason anyone would need to
read a git log after looking at that is terminal cretinism.

> Also the warning is completely useless: noone will be "fixing"
> udev on old distributions.

I bet there were still old copies of /sbin/update lying around, but we
still managed to remove sys_bdflush() this way.

> IMHO that's not acceptable to break common user land like this.
> Linux is supposed to be binary compatible and this patch is not
> in this spirit.
>
> Actually removing the file later should be still fine, but
> not printing out these scary messages.
>
> I propose to revert this misguided patch for stable and 3.1

I see lots of fake reasoning. What's really going on here??