Reading MtRainier CD in plain CD unit?

From: David BalaÅic
Date: Thu Jun 23 2011 - 14:43:19 EST

Hi!

(please CC me on answers)

During cleanup I found a MtRainier (MRW) formatted CD-RW with an UDF
1.02 filesystem on it.

I tried to read it in aplin CD-ROM unit that has no special MRW
support with a recent kernel (Ubuntu 11.04 distro) but it does not
work. It sees only a dummy iso9660 volume that has a few readme files
informing that special software is needed to read them (It suggests
Nero EasyWrite or InCD, for Windows, as it was formatted with a Nero
utility).

As I remember from back then, this helper code is patent encumbered
and that's why Linux does not have it.
Has there been any change about this lately?

Regards,
David