Re: [Patch] hugetlb: remove user_shm_lock() check fromhugetlb_file_setup()

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Jun 23 2011 - 01:37:16 EST

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, AmÃrico Wang wrote:

> > I know this is scheduled for removal and it is quite past due, but I think
> > we need to do some due diligence before just yanking the whole thing out.
> > A printk_once() about some mysterious application using SHM_HUGETLB
> > doesn't seem very helpful in migrating users to start using
> > /proc/sys/vm/hugetlb_shm_group, and suddenly returning -EPERM when
> > attempting it doesn't seem very responsible, despite what
> > Documentation/feature-removal-schedule.txt may say.
> >
> > For context, we just ran into this internally where this warning at one
> > point appeared to be WARN_ON_ONCE(). ÂThat seems more attention grabbing
> > because it at least allows users to start understanding what the issue is
> > and who needs to be fixed.
>
> Well, we put printk_once with KERN_WARNING level, this is already an enough
> warning, the only difference with WARN_ON_ONCE() is this has no backtrace
> which is not important for this case.

NACK.

As explained above, using printk_once() to identify that some unidentified
application is using SHM_HUGETLB to charge against the mlock rlimit
through mmap() isn't sufficient notice and _will_ result in userspace
breakage. Please convert this to a WARN_ON_ONCE() so the application is
identified, wait 6-12 months, convert it to a WARN_ON(), wait 6-12 months,
then remove it.

Thanks.