Maximum number of inotify watches

From: Tiberiu C. Turbureanu
Date: Wed Jun 22 2011 - 09:20:04 EST

Hello,

I want to monitor all the files on a server using one instance of inotify and about 20M watches recursively set on directories in '/' tree substructure. I'd want to be notified about all type of events defined by inotify (create, delete, access, modify etc.)

Assuming this monitor daemon running in user-space keeps up with the frequency of new events in the kernel queue (it reads them), is it possible to exceed the kernel memory limit because there are too many watches and events?

TIA,
Tibi