Re: [ath9k-devel] Disabling the third antenna for AR9380 in ath9k

From: Mohammed Shafi
Date: Tue Jun 21 2011 - 04:55:49 EST

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Fred Matthews <fredmm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am installing the AR9380 NIC on laptops, but some only have two UFL
> connectors, and thus I was wondering if using only two of the UFL antenna
> ports will have any negative effect or difference than installing a 2x2 NIC
> (AR9280 for example which has only 2 ports anyway). Please kindly explain
> with references if possible.
> Also for example is there anyway to disable transmission on the third UFL
> port (antenna) from ath9k or otherwise.
> Thank you all very much

you can change the tx/rx chainmask for 3x3 AR9380 to disable
transmission on the third antenna
cd /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k# echo 0x3 > tx_chainmask
cd /sys/kernel/debug/ieee80211/phy0/ath9k# echo 0x3 > rx_chainmask

after this, ideally it should operate as 2x2 device as per Susinders
comments. but if you got AR9280 please try to use that if 2 antenna is
the constraint.

shafi