WARNING:'hweight_long' include/linux/bitops.h compile warning problem.

From: NamJae Jeon
Date: Mon Jun 20 2011 - 04:08:31 EST

Hello. Arnd

I found compile warning while compiling module when using -Wsign-compare option.

include/linux/bitops.h: In function 'hweight_long':
include/linux/bitops.h:49: warning: signed and unsigned type in
conditional expression

I found the reason of this problem that the default return value of
the below macro is signed.

#define __const_hweight8(w) \
( (!!((w) & (1ULL << 0))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 1))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 2))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 3))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 4))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 5))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 6))) + \
(!!((w) & (1ULL << 7))) )

So, I try to add (unsigned long) in __const_hweight8 like this.

#define __const_hweight8(w) (unsigned long ) \

so, I can't see compile warning after fixing it, Would you plz check this ?

Thanks.