Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool v2

From: Anthony Liguori
Date: Thu Jun 16 2011 - 18:51:03 EST

On 06/16/2011 09:48 AM, Pekka Enberg wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Pekka Enberg<penberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- Fast QCOW2 image read-write support beating Qemu in fio benchmarks. See the
following URL for test result details: https://gist.github.com/1026888

It turns out we were benchmarking the wrong guest kernel version for
qemu-kvm which is why it performed so much worse. Here's a summary of
qemu-kvm beating tools/kvm:

https://raw.github.com/gist/1029359/9f9a714ecee64802c08a3455971e410d5029370b/gistfile1.txt

I'd ask for a brown paper bag if I wasn't so busy eating my hat at the moment.

np, it happens.

Is that still with QEMU with IDE emulation, cache=writethrough, and 128MB of guest memory?

Does your raw driver support multiple parallel requests? It doesn't look like it does from how I read the code. At some point, I'd be happy to help ya'll do some benchmarking against QEMU.

It would be very useful to compare as we have some ugly things in QEMU that we've never quite been able to determine how much they affect performance. Having an alternative implementation to benchmark against would be quite helpful.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Pekka