Re: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool v2

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Jun 16 2011 - 07:52:11 EST

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 01:40:45PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> Filesystems that cannot guarantee that should map their
> sync_file_range() implementation to fdatasync() or so, right?

Filesystems aren't even told about sync_file_range, it's purely a VM
thing, which is the root of the problem.

In-kernel we have all the infrastructure for a real ranged
fsync/fdatasync, and once we get a killer users for that can triviall
export it at the syscall level. I don't think mapping sync_file_range
with it's weird set of flags and confusing behaviour to it is a good
idea, though.