Re: Panic on OOM

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 22:52:00 EST

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Chris Fowler wrote:

> > More supporting evidence is that in the initial report that you said
> > you had seen the panic and "Rebooting in 10 seconds..."
>
> There was a long period between when the box became unresponsive and the
> panic happened.

Yes, that may indicate a VM issue that changed between v2.6.33 and v2.6.38
that caused the oom killer not to get triggered right away.

> I did not time it but I left it alone in the afternoon
> and later that night I saw the panic. I know the panic was not
> immediate.

I was attempting to diagnose an issue where the machine failed to actually
reboot after the "Rebooting in 10 seconds..." message. So the issue is
that the machine becomes unresponsive for an indefinite period of time
between invoking your perl script and seeing the panic, or that the
machine fails to reboot after "Rebooting in 10 seconds..."?