Re: Panic on OOM

From: Chris Fowler
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 22:04:23 EST

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 17:13 -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> Using /proc/sys/vm/panic_on_oom also won't panic the machine if you
> happen to use a cpuset or mempolicy. You'll want to write '2' instead
> if you want to panic in all possible oom conditions.

2 did it. Thank you.

perl -e 'my @mem = (); while(1) { push @mem, "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"; }'

I lost connection and it came back after about 30s. Reboot worked.

In the past I've had OOM conditions "lock" a device so to keep from
having to call someone to reboot it I started using this method instead.
Out of memory conditions are rare and would only be caused by memory
leaks. I've found all memory leaks that I could fine and the first OOM
condition was caused by the program doing exactly what I told it to
do. :)

On the device that is running 2.6.38 this is the first time I'm planning
on using some PERL code on the device. I am a bit concerned about
possibly memory leaks taking down the device so I wanted to be sure this
works. This box does not have any swap space and never real. The 1G of
memory will be all that is available.

Thanks,
Chris