Re: rcu: performance regression

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 08:56:27 EST

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 10:13:15AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Shaohua Li <shaohua.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Commit a26ac2455ffcf3(rcu: move TREE_RCU from softirq to kthread)
> > introduced performance regression. In our AIM7 test, this commit caused
> > about 40% regression.
>
> Sigh, this commit is somewhat of a train-wreck.
>
> > The commit runs rcu callbacks in a kthread instead of softirq. We
> > observed high rate of context switch which is caused by this. Out
> > test system has 64 CPUs and HZ is 1000, so we saw more than 64k
> > context switch per second which is caused by the rcu thread.
> >
> > I also did trace and found when rcy thread is woken up, most time
> > the thread doesn't handle any callbacks actually, it just
> > initializes new gp or end one gp or similar.
> >
> > From my understanding, the purpose to make rcu runs in kthread is
> > to speed up rcu callbacks run (with help of rtmutex PI), not for
> > end gp and so on, which runs pretty fast actually and doesn't need
> > boost. To verify my findings, I had below debug patch applied. It
> > still handles rcu callbacks in kthread if there is any pending
> > callbacks, but other things are still running in softirq. this
> > completely solved our regression. I thought this can still boost
> > callbacks run. but I'm not expert in the area, so please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shaohua
> > ---
> > Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt | 1 +
> > include/linux/interrupt.h | 1 +
> > include/trace/events/irq.h | 3 ++-
> > kernel/rcutree.c | 23 +++++++++++++++++++----
> > kernel/rcutree.h | 1 +
> > kernel/rcutree_plugin.h | 9 +++++++++
> > kernel/softirq.c | 2 +-
> > tools/perf/util/trace-event-parse.c | 1 +
> > 8 files changed, 35 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)
>
> Paul? Unless this patch is the obviously correct solution everyone
> wants to have, the other obviously correct solution is to do the
> revert ...

I will look Shaohua's patch over. Of course, given that mid-90s
could do well in excess of 100,000 context switches per second
per CPU, I am having a hard time seeing how 1,000 context switches
per second per CPU is by itself resulting in a 40% regression.

Nevertheless, fewer context switches per second should speed things
up, and so again, I will look at Shaohua's patch.

Thanx, Paul