Re: [GIT] kbuild fixes for 3.0

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 11:22:55 EST

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 3:03 AM, maximilian attems <max@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> you have forgotten the rule that linus himself is allowed to break userland. :P

No.

But Linus _is_ allowed to try to fix problems. So what I'm trying to do is:

- see if we can find work-arounds for known broken packages (by
giving them a three-digit version number despite the kernel actually
only having two digits)

- if no such work-arounds can be done without excessive hackery, at
least make sure that the packages in question know that they are
broken, so that they get fixed and we can drop the third digit later
even if we don't drop it at 3.0 itself.

It does look like there are too many problems to actually make it call
itself "3.0", and that's sad. That's not an excuse for not trying to
get those problems fixed, though.

Linus