Re: [GIT] kbuild fixes for 3.0

From: Ray Lee
Date: Fri Jun 10 2011 - 01:54:33 EST

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Arnaud Lacombe <lacombar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Beside that, no matter what, you are about to break
> `/usr/sbin/sensors-detect' (from my Fedora 14), which rely on a 3
> digits version number:

Is there really any compelling technical reason to _not_ have Linus
release the kernels with a superfluous .0 on the end, with the
understanding that the -stable team gets to increment it for their
future releases? It'd make every kernel.org release exactly three
dotted decimals from here on out, which certainly simplifies things.

It seems like we're just borrowing trouble here by trying to drop it
down to two numbers.

(Not, mind you, that I give a damn at all one way or the other, but it
feels like you all are going to be spending a lot of time tripping
over poor assumptions in userspace rather than doing actual work.)

~r.